Sunday, December 25, 2011

More on quick-salting cod


A few more words and pictures on salting cod for a while before cooking it (see my recent “Cooking Off the Cuff” at The Washington Post, here).

I think you can see from this picture how firm the fish appears after 35 or 40 minutes of salting, rinsing and drying.



And here is how nicely it flaked after brief cooking on its bed of vegetables.



I say in the story that it is worth salting your cod in that way however you plan to cook it. I’ve served it steamed, and I’ve served it egg-and-breadcrumbed on one side only, cooked in clarified butter until crisp then turned to finish cooking. Salting yielded excellent results in both cases. Next time, the plan is to use quick-salted cod for fish and chips. I think it will be delicious, and I’ll let you know one way or the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment